Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Banking without Family

To Whom it May Concern,

One of the hardest things about becoming an adult is a little thing called money. The obtaining of money, the budgeting of money, the saving of money. These are all things that you didn't really have to deal with before when you had that magic plastic card. You might still have one of those, but you're never going to learn if you don't grasp the financial aspect on your own.

I opened my first checking account two years ago when I was nineteen. My parents didn't do it for me. My siblings didn't do it for me. I had a check that I needed to cash otherwise it would be worth as much as a bit of paper. So I did what you should do before doing anything else... research.

I looked up every major bank. I taught myself what all those fancy terms meant... all from the safety of my computer. Finally, I came to the conclusion which one suited me best. This was not done whimsically. I wrote lists of pros and cons. Placed question marks next to the terms I still didn't know and all of it added up. This took WEEKS.

On a subject I had been ignorant about, I was now fairly adept.

That is what it means to grow up.
You teach yourself new things.
No body else is going to do it for you.

Sincerely,
Independent Month

No comments:

Post a Comment